30k Training Has Begun!

FIT CHICK Sergeant Laura killed my arms last night!

logo official.jpg

Bootcamp last night was all about stations! We were split into groups of four and given a station to start at and then we rotated between all the stations before were given new exercises for each station and did it all over again, four times! I’m telling you, it was fast, tough and I was a sweating machine! She even had us holding our arms out straight at our sides (like you’d be in a “T” formation) for two and a half minutes without lowering them! You think that’s easy? I dare ya to try it. Right now (I’ll wait).

Done? Not laughin’ now, are ya?! 😉

That being said it was a wicked move that I plan to adopt at home and just goes to prove that you can get a killer workout with virtually no equipment other than your own body!

30k Training Has Begun!

Last week was my first week of training for August’s Midsummer Nights Run 30k! I had my 12k long run on Sunday and it went very well! I did an out-and-back route, running 6k up into the northern part of Sunnybrook Park and back home. The weather was perfect being a cool 15*C and both my body and breath were in sync with eachother. It was great!

I promised I’d share with you all not only my 30k training plan but to keep you updated while I train. I’ll probably update once a week on training so as to keep the blog from becoming a running blog but I’m really looking forward to sharing this experience with you!

I have one major goal for this 30k and that is to get across the finish line without injury! Not getting injured has always been my secondary running goal and, so far, I’m running a pretty clean record! I want it to stay that way so I’ve built my training program around safety. So my plan breaks down like this:

Training Plan.tiff

Four days of running – I ramped up my mileage to include an extra day of running. I did this because the running rule of thumb states that you only increase your long runs by a maximum of 10% of your weekly mileage. Once my long runs get over 20k I need to make up for that during my week so I decided that instead of investing in two days of 10k runs (or more), I’d break it up to over three days of between. I don’t like my weekly runs to be more than an hour if I can at all help it!

Two days of cross-training – I didn’t cross-train for my half marathon and although I managed to run my half just fine but I knew I was playing with fire. Only working the same muscles all the time increases my chance of an over-use injury. I have successfully built in a regular practice of cross-training over the last several months and I know this will be instrumental in not just preventing injuries but also allowing me to run the best race I can. Having an overall stronger and fitter body will help me to prevent injury and run a quality race. My bootcamp program ends next week (Boo!!!!) but I plan to continue bootcamp style workouts on my cross-training days to keep building on the muscles I’ve been working on and to keep building my overall fitness.

Stretching – Like a lot of runners, I’m horrible with stretching. I mean, normally I do stretch after a run but I know it’s too brief a time for it to be very effective (although any stretching is better than no stretching). A specific goal of mine is to stretch for a full ten minutes after every exercise session. I also plan to use one of my cross-training days to do cardio for the first thirty minutes and then finish up with 20-30 minutes of yoga to work on my flexibility, keep me centred and take care of my tired muscles. I also may switch my strength training days to Monday instead of Saturday as I don’t want sore muscles on my long run but we’ll see!

Rest Days/Active Rest Weeks – I have one rest day a week that I will take to do no more than passive activity to give my entire body a break and build the muscles and endurance I’ve put it through during the other six days. I’ve also built in Active Rest Weeks every few weeks or so to give my body a break from the increase in mileage. These weeks my mileage goes down and so does my intensity in my other workouts. My body will be working hard and deserves regular breaks so it won’t rebel!

Flexibility – Every goal needs a plan but every goal also requires the flexibility for change when life inevitably puts a damper on things. If I find that four days of running is just too much, I’ll cut it back and try to divide that extra mileage between the other two days. If I need to take an extra day off, I’ll take it off. Let’s not forget I’ll be starting school again at the end of June and will be starting my business while training (and hopefully starting a part time job). These will all be factors I must take into consideration while training. If not, I risk feeling out of control and in a panic if/when something comes up.

Finally, let’s not forget that this is my physical training plan and does not talk about the nutritional changes I plan to make while training. Last year while training for my half I just ate whatever the heck I wanted to and while it’s normal to gain weight while training for endurance events, I gained 10lbs mostly due to out-of-control portions and not just due to increased training. If I’m destined to gain weight during this training I don’t want it to be because I was irresponsible with my eating habits. I’ll talk more about that later however!

Are you also a crazy person? Do you run endurance races? Why on earth would you do such a thing?!

16 Comments

• At 2011.05.25 08:48, veganlisa said:

Ah… I have to get on my plan. Thanks for the reminder.

• At 2011.05.25 09:29, Lisa (LaWeez) said:

Wow. Wow. Wow. I’m SO beyond impressed with that distance. I’m ramping up to starting my Half Marathon training at the beginning of July and am still having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept. It’s more than a little daunting. I have a training schedule in mind but am a bit worried that the 12 weeks allotted won’t actually be enough – hence the starting at the beginning of July. It’s the Hal Higdon training schedule (I used his 10K training and it did the trick, so I figured, why not go with what I sort of already know).

Any advice you can through at me?

• At 2011.05.25 10:24, Therese said:

When I trained for Scotiabank I did 14 weeks and it worked out just fine. You’ll be amazed at what your body can handle when you condition it slowly, week after week! If you like the plan, use it but just be flexible. If you think you need to repeat a week, do it. Adjust along the way and you’ll be fine! It is daunting to start but wasn’t 5k daunting when you started?!

• At 2011.05.25 09:29, Lisa (LaWeez) said:

…er through=throw. Must go have a coffee. LOL.

• At 2011.05.25 12:08, Kristen said:

This looks like an AWESOME plan!!! You really have learned so much and have expertly put it in to practice. I think this is going to be one of your best races and training seasons yet!

And yes, you already know that I’m a crazy person like you and do endurance races…although a 30k is crazy insane and I don’t know if I’m to that level (yet!?). Why do I do it? I haven’t decided yet! LOL Guess I’ll have to keep doing it until I come up with a good answer. 😀

• At 2011.05.25 14:03, Shannon ( HLP) said:

Great plan but the only concern I have is that you have 3 days of back to back running….2 easy and THEN a tempo…So you are asking your body to run at a faster pace on dead legs.

• At 2011.05.26 16:45, Therese said:

Yeah, I made the schedule before my decision to not worry so much about speed so no worries on that end!

• At 2011.05.25 14:03, Shannon ( HLP) said:

What? No hill training :o)

• At 2011.05.26 15:58, Haley said:

Awesome! Geez, I’m falling behind on my running lately. I’ve been focusing more on weight-training and other things… I think I”m going through a bit of a running slump =/.

ROCK ON GIRL!

• At 2011.05.26 16:45, Therese said:

I’m just bouncing back from a running slump! I think it’s good to mix it up though, saves us from injury and gets us strong AND fit!

• At 2012.05.31 19:05, Bryndis said:

I just found your blog off of a google search for 30K training. Your schedule is very helpful and I’m planning on making a variation on it for myself. One question though, what do ST and F.C. stand for?

• At 2012.06.02 12:56, Therese said:

ST stands for “Strength Training” and FC is for “FitChicks” which was the bootcamp I was doing at the time. You would just want to replace it with some other circuit training!
                  Therese recently posted..Wedding Update – The Colour RevealMy Profile

• At 2012.07.04 14:09, Joanne Roy said:

Just found this blog looking for 30K training plans! Like the concept and it’s inline with what I’ve done for my 15K and 21K training. Cross-training (I did spinning and tennis), strength training (with my personal trainer) and running days (1 short and 1 long run, increasing km weekly). Some of the other plans ONLY have running and that just didn’t make sense to me! Am CONSIDERING a 30K run on September 16, 2012 and just finished my first half (2:23:59). However 9K more seems like a HUGE distance more considering I felt pain for nearly 5 days after the HALF! LOL

• At 2014.04.26 02:46, Pezzi di ricambio auto multimarca said:

I visited multiple web sites but the audio feature
                    for audio songs existing at this site is really marvelous.
                    Pezzi di ricambio auto multimarca recently posted..Pezzi di ricambio auto multimarcaMy Profile

• At 2014.04.26 03:51, www.stoller-dunhaminsurance.com said:

naturally like your web site however you need to take a look
                      at the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling
                      issues and I in finding it very troublesome to inform the reality however I’ll
                      definitely come back again.
                      http://www.stoller-dunhaminsurance.com recently posted..http://www.stoller-dunhaminsurance.comMy Profile

(Required)
                      (Required, will not be published)

CommentLuv badge