Before I get started please check out my guest post on Green Plate Dinners on how not to go crazy while changing your habits! Haley’s awesome so you’ll probably want to subscribe to her blog!

I just got back from four days in our Nations Capital: Ottawa!

Alan and I wanted to get away for the weekend as a combination Valentine’s Day/Anniversary celebration. Last year we went to Niagara Falls and this year was going to either be Montreal or Ottawa. We chose Ottawa mostly because we’d be taking Greyhound and thought that a 16 hour round trip timeframe was too much for only a three day stay.

I also haven’t been to Ottawa since I was 18 years old. When I went I came home to horrify my parents with the brand new nose ring I had gotten done while I was there. They weren’t impressed. I still have it. They’re fine now.

Highlights included:

An absolutely gorgeous day on Friday!

Touristy shots of the Parliament Building!

I fought off a giant spider!

A run with my favourite runner, Terry Fox! (Not sure if this is offensive or a tribute…I meant well…)

Alan plotted his Ottawa world domination.

Happy Hour Pints at D’Arcy McGees.

And learned the story of D’Arcy McGee’s “Death Hand“.

We freed a bunch of little girls from the clutches of Nature!

Then we met up with some friends (including an unpictured Susan)!

We went to another pub!

Scottish pubs always leave me wishing…

What was I wish for? This:

But then ate a Beaver Tail in bed, instead!

It was a fabulous weekend! Thanks for being awesome, Ottawa!

• At 2011.02.23 08:54, Susan said:

I can’t believe we forgot to take a picture! And I can’t even blame the pain meds for it that day. I had an awesome time hanging out with you and Alan, thanks for coming by to visit your crippled friend :)

Is that a chocolate peanut butter Beavertail? I want to try one before I leave and am researching flavours 😉

• At 2011.02.23 11:56, Therese said:

I know! I was half way down the street, stopped, and cursed loudly! ha ha ha Nuts. Oh well. Thanks for being so hospitible, it was great catching up with you!

And yes, that was a Reeses Beavertail. Awesomeness. Glad we shared one as I easily would have eaten a whole one on my own!

• At 2011.02.23 12:35, cailen said:

looks like you had a fantastic time in a beautiful city! gonna go check out your guest post now : )

• At 2011.02.23 15:17, Haley said:

Other countries have such pretty Parliament buildings. [I’m a bit worried that I’ll be tracked by the government for saying this, but] Our building sucks in comparison!

Also – wall of scotch = AMAZING!

• At 2011.02.23 20:06, Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! said:

I haven’t been to Ottawa since I was about 5 years old. I must get there again! I am saying this not just because of the availability of beaver tails, I swear!

• At 2011.02.24 20:50, Carpensm @ A Life Without Ice Cream said:

Awww I loved reading this post and seeing your take on my home city! Mind you I’ve only lived here for 7 months but it feels like home now.

Glad you had a good time in Ottawa!

(Required, will not be published)

CommentLuv badge